Wednesday’s Wip Pahwade

New Entry:

I cast on for Jeanie last night. This is possibly the most challenging thing I’ve knit since… no, wait… ever. It’s not the pattern – I got to grips with it pretty quickly: a basic stitch pattern of four stitches [ktbl, p1, k1, ptbl] which forms a 1 x 1 rib defined by twisted stitches at the edges. These four stitches are then cabled over another four and the 1 x 1 rib makes the cables reversible – very clever. The columns of twisted stitches are beside stitches that will be dropped, hence the need for definition.  So far, so sensible.  

The challenge is the yarn. It’s bamboo and I haven’t knit with bamboo before and it’s! so! slippery! I started on the wrong needles, my denise needles: not enough control and the stitches were snagging on the cable join. Since I switched to my bamboo needles I’ve got on better. I’m still not happy about my tension. I fear it’s all going to be too drapey. Ten rows in and I’m already doubting if this is going to get done by the middle of August – it may become a Christmas present.

Upalupagus - Upstream Architecture in Trekking XXLDropping back to #2:

We have Upalupagus, the own-design, toe-up socks in Zitron Trekking XXL using the Upstream Architecture from Cat Bordhi’s book “New Pathways for Sock Knitters”. My guage is 9.5 stitches to the inch. By the time I’m finished the arch expansion (only one set of increases to go) I’ll have 120 stitches per round! Gah! why have men such big feet? All I have to do then is turn the heel and chug on up the leg until I run out of yarn. These should have been my June socks in the SAM 5 KAL. Hopefully they’ll be done in time to get a credit for July.

Moving up:

I recently re-discovered my “April” Socks – Diagonal Cross-rib from Favorite Sock, in Mega Boots Stretch. I gave up on them in preference for Back to Basic Socks. I might dig these out again and make them my holiday knitting for the next two weeks in Westport – along with Upalupagus… and Jeanie(?)… Where’s my third arm?

Biased - multi-directional scarf in Noro KureyonNon-movers:

GlenvAargh!, and its donor, The Behemoth, still languish; Biased, the multi-directional scarf in Noro, is going to get frogged; the Tomato swatch has at least been measured and I got different results at different times (I may have used a different tape measure) but mainly the wintery weather here is putting me off prioritising this;

Golden oldies:

These are the WiPs I bet you didn’t even know I had – my UFOs. I like to pretend they don’t exist. The Mole (an Alan Dart stuffed-toy pattern, based on Mole from Wind in the Willows) just needs embroidery to his face (and motivation); some day – hopefully before next winter – I’m going to knit a pair of mittens for my daughter.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: