I’m in a right pickle this time: yet again my enthusiasm has over-shot my ability and Real-Life has plans for my knitting time.
Yesterday evening I was grabbed with the notion of partaking in the Ravelympics. The challenge is to knit something from start to finish while the Olympics are underway – 08/08/08 to 24/08/08 (17 days). The rules are:
- The project must be a challenge for you to complete in 17 days.
- No casting on before Opening Ceremonies commence in Beijing.
- Finish before the flame goes out.
- You may swatch before the games. (This is considered as “training.”)
Cool! What to knit is not the problem. Completing a pair of socks in 17 days is definately challenging for me. Which socks to knit is not the problem either. I’m having a ball with Cat Bordhi’s book (I’ll show you my latest two pairs from the book in another post, I promise) so I could make-it-up-as-I-go-along (shock/horror!). I could even go with the Up-Down Spiral Socks (Rav Link) that I mentioned before, though I suspect that working with two colours might be too time-consuming and therefore not do-able in time.
The problem is when am I going to knit this AND all the other things I want to knit AND go back to work on 1st August! The answer – I can’t. Hence, I must choose. If I want to partake in the Ravelympics I need to clear the decks by 8th August. So here’s a list of the other things I want to knit:
- Finish the current pair of Sockathon socks – just completing the 1st heel but they’re two-at-a-time so I’m half-way there;
- A secret project – a certain pattern that has been knocking around for a year that I’m arrogant enough to think a certain knitting magazine might be interested in. Thing is, it still needs a lot of work to be perfected.
- A scarf for my sister’s birthday (mid-August). OTOH I did this last year and I have other ideas for presents so I might just give this a miss;
- GlenvAarrgh – I’m approaching the one-year anniversary of D-day for this project, where D stands for Disaster. I had hoped to celebrate by conquering the pattern.
- There are other things, but this isn’t WIP-pawade Wednesday, it’s Choosey Tuesday so…
Now that I’ve written it down it seems obvious that I should finish the socks then focus on the secret project. Then… perhaps GlenvAargh should be my Ravelympics project in the WIPs Wrestling Event. Sounds like I have another Choosey Tuesday post in the pipeline. Stay tuned…