In her 10 for ’10 plan, Wyvernfriend has set herself an interesting challenge for this year:
5. Buy/obtain less yarn than I use.
Just thinking in this way has made me a lot more conscious about how much stash I acquire vs how much knitting I get done.
I’ve four F.O.s already under my belt; albeit in one case – the Ziggy socks – the bulk of the knitting was done last year. Plus I’ve knit up a good few balls of Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed for GlenvarAgin.
The only yarn I’ve purchased so far this year was one skein of Malabrigo Lace. However, I’ve also acquired one skein of Schoppel Wolle Admiral Ombré via Mairead, and one skein of a mystery yarn, via Viola, which I think might be Tilli Tomas Disco Lights. I guess I also have to count a ball of metalic novelty yarn that Clarabel gave me – as a joke – last Tuesday (you’re messing with my totals, Claire!).
Kinda like a Profit & Loss a/c, I’ve done my tot for the year to date for Stash (and we’re nearly finished week 7).
- 206m = one skein of Tilli Tomas Disco Lights
- 420m = one skein of Schoppel Wolle Admiral Ombré
- 430m = one skein of Malabrigo Lace
- 140m = one ball of Rotex metalic handicraft yarn
- 1,056m = Total Yarn Acquired to date (Can we just ignore the Balance Carried Forward bit? mOKThx!!)
- 120m = 60% of one ball of Adriafil New Zealand Print in Gerkin Mittens
- 440m = 5 balls of Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed into DH’s GlenvarAgin Cardigan
- 75m = 1/2 of one ball of Tivoli New Celtic Aran for Two Hoots
- 300m = 70% of The Natural Dye Studio Dazzle BFL sock yarn for Ishbel
- 180m = 40% of King Cole Zig Zag for Ziggy Socks
- 1,115m = Total Yarn Used to date
So I’m ahead – but only just!
And this is not even mentioning the anticipated yarn-gain through the Aerial Unwind Events.
Here you can see a pic of the Rowan Colourscape Chunky by Kaffe Fassett that is drying out after a soak. I thought I had only two skeins of this. It turns out, now that I’ve frogged it, that I have three in total. The yarn that you can see getting a bit of a stretch on my swift, appears to be two skeins that I spliced together. So this is another 480m of yarn. I’m refusing to include in my totals. Either I’m in denial…
… or I have a plan!
Following the success of my Ban-Zai Bonanza giveaway – in which entrants wrote a Haiku and I gave away yarn as part of the prize – I’m planning something similar for the comming weeks. Tune in on Monday for details…