I did it!!! I have made YAAARRRNNNN!!!
It was a bit of a struggle at times and really enjoyable at times. The plying was much easier than I expected. I read – properly, this time – the instructions that Maggie Casey gives in her book “Start Spinning” and it was waaay easier than spinning.
I did have “fun” when one bobbin finished several meters before the other. In the future, I’m going to have Navajo plying for dealing with this situation. In the meantime, I consulted the Oracle that is Twitter and thanks to @Deimne, @Dianeknits and @BionicLaura for their advice and @cathyqtpi and @WrapNTurn for their encouragement.
I did I bit of a quasi-scientific endeavour with weighing scales to try to find the centre-point of the remaining single. Of course, this really only works with commercial yarn that has a consistent “density” throughout.
I missed the centre point by a few meters so one bobbin ran out again. This time, I took a trip down the hall to find the centre point.
I didn’t quite get it then either so when I was left with a meter or so of one single I tried a few chains of Navajo.
So after soaking and snapping and hanging to dry, I did some measuring. (I immediately realised I would have been better off doing the measuring before I had fastened ties around the skein. *sigh!* I live and learn!)
I’ve got 3oo meters of yarn (give or take) and it’s turning out as (on average) 11 or 13 WPI. Kinda, sorta, DK weight (with sections of super-bulky!)
I’m now dreaming of all the possible things I could make with it…