I shocked myself by doing something I’ve been promising I’d do for more years than I care to remember: I made jam.
For years, I’ve been collecting jars and other jam-making paraphernalia. We moved to this house almost five years ago and I don’t *think* I brought empty jars with me, but I couldn’t swear to that. This selection here is what remains after a serious cull last year. I promised DH that if I failed to follow-through on my jam-making wish last Autumn I had to throw my jar collection out. Instead, I moved them from the press to (out-of-sight in) this drawer; but to fit them I had to throw-away about half of them!
Every year, for the past five years, I harvest rhubarb from our garden, chop it up and put it in the freezer. I’m not sure what came over me this time that I became possessed with the will to actually make it into jam, for a change. Planets suddenly in line?
I found a recipe for Rhubarb and Ginger on The Green Apron and kinda followed it. Between the fresh rhubarb, and the stock-pile of frozen, I had 2kg; versus the 6lbs required. So for quantities I referred to another recipe I discovered I already had in one of my cook-books. This recipe only called for one lemon so three extra lemons will just have to find their way into gin and tonics, I suppose.
Since both of these recipes were for “normal” sugar and not that sugar-with-added-pectin that DH brought home, I referred to the guidance on the back of the packets of Sure-set sugar for cooking times. I didn’t necessarily follow it, though. The advice on the Green Apron’s site was much more practical.
Despite the obvious failure this cobbling-together of methods, flavours and advice should engender in a novice, I appear to have made lots of delicious jam!