Yet again, dear reader, I have a dilemma that I need your advice on.
You’re already aware that my Turbine Hat is stalled because of the pesky foibles of yarn-weights. Despite using a DK-weight yarn when Aran-weight is called for, I didn’t bother to swatch. You would think that getting a satisfactory fabric while using the requested needle-size would be a sufficient test. You would think I’d know better by now. In addition, my little bit of colour-work pulls that section in in tighter.
The result is a stretched, ill-fitting hat that has to be ripped.
A) re-do the maths – add a few stitches at regular intervals in the pattern to increase the circumference at thus gauge.
Advantages: I already have a gauge-swatch
Disadvantages: it will be even slower to knit.
B) Re-knit with the yarn held double.
Advantages: it would be a fast-knit and excellent stash-busting.
Disadvantages: I’d have to swatch and do re-sizing maths.
C) Get the correct weight of yarn in a swap from another knitter.
Advantages: no need for swatch or maths.
Disadvantages: panic ensues while waiting for yarn to arrive.
What do you advise, dear reader? If I start B first at least I can decide very quickly if it’s working. However, if I start A first there’s less chance of a false start. In the meantime, I could set plan C in motion while I decide between A or B.
Your thoughts on all this are appreciated.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone